Upliftment of Women of Backward Communities:
National Backward Classes Finance and Development Corporation (NBCFDC), an organization under the aegis of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has the following two women specific schemes for targeted women whose annual family income is less than Rs. 3.00 lakh per annum:
- Mahila Samriddhi Yojana: To provide Micro Finance to women entrepreneurs of Backward Classes.
- New Swarnima Scheme for Women: Term Loan to inculcate the spirit of self-dependence among the women of Backward Classes.
What is Demands for Grants?
- Article 113 of the Constitution of India mandates that estimates of
expenditure from the Consolidated Fund of India are included in
the Annual Financial Statement, which are required to be voted by
the Lok Sabha, and submitted in the form of demand for grants.
The demands for grants are presented to the Lok Sabha along with the Annual Financial Statement. More than one Demand may be presented for a Ministry or Department depending on the nature of expenditure.
Union Territories without Legislature, a separate demand is
presented for each of
such Union Territories.
Each demand initially gives separately the totals of (i) ‘voted’ and ‘charged’ expenditure; (ii) the ‘revenue’ and the ‘capital’ expenditure and (iii) the grand total on gross basis of the amount of expenditure for which the demand is presented.
This is followed by the estimates of expenditure under different major heads of account. The breakup of the expenditure under each major head between ‘Plan’ and ‘Non-Plan’ is also given. The amounts of recoveries are also shown.
Why in News? Lok Sabha approves the demands for grants under Road Transport and Highways for 2019-20.
Jan Jagrukta Abhiyaan:
It is a campaign to be launched by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in Delhi to sensitize and mobilise the community on measures for prevention and control of Vector-Borne Diseases (VBDs) like Malaria, Dengue and Chikungunya.
Markandeshwar temple in Maharashtra:
Context: Restoration work of Markandeshwar temple in Maharashtra by Archaeological Survey of India is in full swing.
About the temple:
- Known as the “Khajuraho of Vidarbha”,the temple of Markandadeo is situated on the bank of River Waingangain district Gadchiroli of Maharashtra.
- The temples belong to the Nagara group of temples of North India.
- On stylistic grounds, their date ranges in between 9-12th centuries CE.
- The temples belong to saiva, Vaishnava and Sakta faith. Most of the temples have a simple plan, with ardhamandapa, mandapa, antaralaand garbhagriha forming the component of the entire set up.
The Sangeet Natak Akademi – India’s national academy for music, dance and drama – is the first National Academy of the arts set-up by the Republic of India. It was created by a resolution of Government of India.
- It was set up in 1952.
- The academy functions as the apex body of the performing arts in the country to preserve and promote the vast cultural heritage of India expressed in music, dance, and drama.
- It also works with governments and art academies in states and territories of the country.
- The academy Renders advice and assistance to the government of India in the task of formulating and implementing policies and programs in the field. It carries a part of the responsibilities of the state for fostering cultural contacts between regions in the country, as well as between India and the world.
- The Akademi Awards are the highest national recognition conferred on eminent artistes. Each year the Academy awards Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships, Ratna Sadsya, to distinguished individuals for their contribution to the field of arts, music, dance and theatre. Ustad Bismillah Khan award is given to young artists for their talent in the fields of music, dance and drama.
- The Ustad Bismillah Khan Yuva Puraskar is conferred upon artists below the age of 40 years.